St. John's Picture Strip

St. John's Picture Strip

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Magnificat 2.0

Magnifcat 2.0
In certain moments, with the light just so,
I can see it.  How is hands move,
Or how his eyes flash
There! Now, I see,
He is my son.
In other moments, I see his father
and I whisper:
“My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,”
even as my heart breaks to see it
He is so young, he is still so innocent.
And like most young men, he won’t fear the consequences,

Insolent child, infinite God
he pushes me (and all of us)
for something greater
What do I say to him now?
“Just wait until your father gets home?”
But we both know there is
No witness I can bring
That will move his spirit.
“Do whatever he tells you.”
And I wonder:
Is the message for them, or for me?


-Virginia Tyler Smith+

No comments:

Post a Comment